Telecommunications Devices Access Programs (TDAP)
What is TDAP?
The Telecommunications Devices Access Program (“TDAP”) is established by Chapter 417 of the Public Acts of 1999 (the “ACT”). In accordance with the Act, the program is designed to distribute appropriate telecommunications devices so that persons who have a disability may effectively use basic telephone service. The Tennessee Public Utility Commission was given the responsibility and authority to implement and manage this program.
TDAP Devices are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. However, there are certain qualifiers that might enable individuals to receive devices on a priority basis. Applicants can refer to the minimum eligibility requirements or view the rules of the Tennessee Public Utility Commission, chapter 1220-4-10 at the TN SOS
Click here to visit the TDAP website.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must be permanent residents of the State of Tennessee.
- Applicants must have a disability such that the person cannot use the telephone effectively without the use of an assistive device. The condition(s) must be verified by a Tennessee licensed physician.
- Only one assistive device per household will be awarded through the TDAP. The Program Coordinator may make the determination that two different devices are needed in the event there is another person in the household with a different need.
- The applicant will remain responsible for all telephone billing and any peripheral items needed for the device, i.e., paper, batteries, etc.
What Type of Equipment is Available?
- VCO (Voice Carry Over) Phone
- CapTel (Captioned Telephone) 840
- CapTel (Captioned Telephone) 840i (requires high-speed internet)
- Speech-generating device (Ex: True Tone EMOTE, Servox, Dynavox, Lingraphica)
- Hands-free Phone
- Phone with Memory Dial
- Phone with Large Buttons
- Tactile Markings on the Phone
- Braille on the Phone
- Memory Dial
- Large Buttons
- Large Display
- Voice-activation capability
How to apply to get an adaptive equipment?
- Click here to apply online
- Click here to print an application
- Click here to print professional certification
Consumer Services Division
- Monique Brazelton, TDAP Program Manager
- TDAP website